We all know everyone enjoys a good celebration and the holidays, and we know you want to include your animal companions in the festivities. July 4th is a pretty big holiday with lots of activities going on, mostly barbecues and fireworks. Here are some safety tips so you can include your pets in a way that keeps them safe and happy:
- Keep your pets away from food and alcohol
- If you want to take those cute/funny photos of your pet(s) wearing festive costumes or headpieces: put it on them, take a bunch of photos, then take it off
- Pets generally do not like wearing said costumes or headgear for long periods of time, so limit how long they wear it
- Keep your pets indoors, in a quiet room or with some soft music playing so that the loud noises of the fireworks are less likely to scare them
- Have treats and/or toys in the room with your pet to keep them occupied
- Make sure that the room your pet is staying in is “Escape Proof”
- secure all windows, pull down shades, make sure doors are locked/closed tight
- Talk with your vet about possible options to keep your pet calm
- Some options may be a ThunderShirt or consult with your vet if considering a mild sedative
- If your pet is going to be outside with you during day activities, make sure to have a water bowl accessible for your pet to stay hydrated.
- To help your pet be less anxious about you leaving them at home, exercise them beforehand so they are more likely to be calmer and fall asleep during night festivities
- Make sure your animals have up-to-date tags that are secured to a collar or microchipped, in case they become loose due to being frightened by the holiday festivities
*We do NOT claim ownership to images used in this post*
This week’s featured breed is the Pug! The adorable little dog with the wrinkled face, and loud snorting has captured our hearts time and time again. They are such playful and loving canine companions, and if you chat with any Pug owner, they will have endless cute photos of their precious pooch and happily tell you how wonderful the breed is. We are lucky enough to walk a few Pugs every day! We want to feature a brother and sister pair: Mason and Dixie!
“Dixie is bursting with pug love. She’s a friendly, patient pug and just wants to climb on you and give you kisses on your nose. She’s a snuggle bug, and will always be the one leading the pack and racing her way back home from her walk.
Mason is a feisty, bold pug with the most inquisitive expressions and a huge pug smile. Every day he comes charging at the door, only to turn around, go grab a toy, and then run right back.
They both LIVE for their peanut butter biscuits.”
-Hillary, Local Territory Manager
We have more pictures to share and an informative video about the amazing Pugs! Also, check out a cute video we have of Mason and Dixie via our Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/hshpetcare/